The Art of hiring Remote staff, Remotely
The current “stay at home” mantra that is being followed by most countries worldwide and coming to terms with the fact that remote work is no longer an option, but an absolutely crucial necessity.
The concept of “work” has changed drastically for most people, regardless of the industry and nature of work. However, on a positive note, most studies have found that even amidst these testing times, remote workers continue to be just as, if not more, productive and less stressed. All of the above calls for a restructuring and evaluation of the original recruitment process to mould it in accordance with the new way and place of work.
How does one begin to attract the right kind of candidates during such a time?
- Build a strong brand presence online- With no “direct” interviews, a company’s digital footprint will be its brand ambassador.
- Create an effective job posting- Detailed and compelling job description that caters exclusively to the job you’re looking to hire for- with no generic phrases. Be open about what you’re looking for in terms of experience and personal qualities from a candidate.
- Advertise your jobs effectively- Depending on the job location, the target candidate’s location as well as the job requirements, post on local websites, career page and social media pages. Most importantly, you can post your ad to sites that specialize in finding remote workers.
While high-quality employees are essential for any company, it becomes even more prudent that they begin to look for additional characteristics in an ideal candidate during this time.
The following are a few traits that make remote workers successful:
- Self-motivated: A candidate who has the drive and motivation to complete his work without needing constant follow-ups and reminders.
- Organized: The ability to prioritize work well and know how to focus amidst distractions.
- Communication skills: Excellent written communication skills, both in terms of language and writing. In addition, they should be able to speak fluently and concisely and be a good, attentive listener.
- Technically strong: It is a necessity for a candidate to be comfortable using technology, including VPN and video/audio conferencing applications.
- Team player: Despite everyone working from remote locations/their homes, the company still needs to function as a whole. In such cases, hiring a candidate who can work together with the existing team is important.
Sourcing the right candidates becomes difficult when you don’t have body language and cues to aid the interview process. Here a few places methods of sourcing you can use:
- Job sites: These are most commonly used to post open positions and create a pool of applicants. However, this method has its disadvantages, especially as it can lead to a large number of irrelevant applications.
- Employee referrals: This is one of the best methods as your current employee is already familiar with the company’s culture and thus can determine if the candidate would be a good fit.
- Networks: This can include people you’ve interviewed or worked with in the past. They may not be actively looking, which would mean they would apply only if they were truly interested in the offered position. Clients, customers, partners and investors are also an excellent source to tap for great candidates.
- Recruitment firms: These firms have large databases and are specialized in finding the ideal candidate.
The hiring process:
How can we help
Rethink as an outsourced Partner using the best practices, can assist in the recruitment process and help you find the right hires. In addition, we are certain that the Covid-19 crisis will affect most businesses within the UAE and we are convinced that firms need to consider some immediate actions to make it through the next few weeks and months, which we will be able to assist you with as below,
- Cash flow forecasting and payment prioritization
- Employee structuring and salary strategy management
- HR & Communication support
- Strategic business opportunities
Who we are
Re/think is a boutique accounting, audit, HR advisory, regulatory compliance, and tax advisory firm with offices in Dubai, Abu Dhabi (ADGM) and Bahrain focused on providing businesses of varying sizes with timely, proactive, and customized business solutions from start-up and early development to the latest stages of a business lifecycle.
For further information and assistance with HR Services in UAE and Bahrain, please contact email@example.com or call us at +971 4 294 9203.